Tuesday 13 April 2010

A new way of Hamlet

Today I watched "Hamlet" in Alexandrinsky Theater. It's new performance. And I think, that the stage director is insane.

The play opened with two two dogs led by two gloomy women. Then Hamlet was brought to the stage. He was dressed in something similar to straitjacket. And later a saucepan appeared on his head. Hamlet's friend Horatio was dressed in jeans and casual shirt. He wore backpack and big headphones. Also there were Donkey and a lot of alcoholics on the stage. In addition to all this madness a mockery was made of famous Hamlet's monologue "To be, or not to be..".

During the play Hamlet carried the imitation pig. He was darting with it around audience and screaming so loud that it seemed to me I got into asylum.

I'm sure that this crazy interpretiation of the play would make Shakespeare turn in his grave...

2 comments: